A couple of years ago we inherited some bedroom furniture from my husband’s family home. On the back of this dresser Ken’s grandmother had recorded how many rolls of paper it took to wallpaper the bedroom. I loved that! It’s something I would do.
I decided the fusion mineral paint I used on another piece would be perfect for this project. Everything I read about mineral fusion paint indicated that it would cover pretty much any wood surface, no primer required. The dresser is a combination of solid wood and veneer, and did have a bit of a “sheen”. Normally I would have taken a sanding block to it, but instead I simply gave it a good cleaning with a natural paint prep cleaner I had on hand.
Once the dresser was dry, I used a 1.5 inch paint brush to brush on the paint using long strokes. After two coats I felt the piece was covered adequately. But the dresser sat in my garage for awhile, as life got busy. One warm day I was in the garage and decided to give it another coat. The top drawer had an appliqué that I could still see faintly, and the third coat covered it almost perfectly (only because I know it was there).
Next I added a topcoat to the dresser top and drawer fronts. Made by the same company as the paint, you rub this on with a clean rag. I hope this will keep the piece from looking too worn or dirty.
Now I had to find the perfect drawer pulls. One of my friends suggested glass knobs, and I agreed it would be elegant. So I carefully measured the size of the old wooden pulls I had removed. Pulls are measured “center to center”……..screw hole to screw hole. An extensive online search came up with nothing to fit. I gave up on the glass idea and tried to find a metal drawer pull. Still I came up with nothing to suit the holes already there. My husband suggested he drill new holes, but I wasn’t willing to risk having him at it with a power tool.
So I went to Pinterest to see if I could see what four knobs on each drawer might look like. Obviously I wasn’t the first to think of this, and I decided it would have to work.
When the knobs arrived I only put a couple on the dresser. I probably could have purchased a new dresser (pressed wood or laminate, but new) for the price of these knobs. So every time I came and left the house over the next few days, I looked at the dresser and glass knobs. Once I decided I liked it, I had Ken add the rest (I’m nursing tendonitis, so the twisting motion was aggravating my tennis elbow).
The plan is to take this “new” dresser to our apartment in the city. But this weekend I brought it inside to photograph for the blog. I did notice a couple of spots peeled, so I had to touch them up. I hope I don’t regret skipping the sanding step. But this dresser won’t be used daily, so I’m hoping it holds up.